United Way of Central Virginia’s 2-1-1 VIRGINIA information and referral center gathers facts on health and human services and provides information to individuals, families, agencies and organizations. The center acts as a central point of access to all human services. The 2-1-1 VIRGINIA staff knows where you can turn for help for a wide variety of needs, including:
- Financial Assistance for Rent or Utilities
- Basic Needs such as Food and Shelter
- Legal Assistance
- Mental Health Services
- FAMIS (Family Access to Medical Security Plan)
- Employment and many other services
In addition, 2-1-1 VIRGINIA provides information on subjects like government agencies, recreation, support groups, domestic violence, welfare reform, maternal and child health issues, and many others that may be of interest to the public. How to Get Help We have trained Information and Referral Specialists available to discuss your needs and to help you determine the services that may be available to you. They can be reached by dialing 2-1-1 every day, 24 hours a day. The information and referrals we provide are free and confidential. If you are interested in locating services yourself, you may use the online database which provides a listing of programs serving the entire state of Virginia. You may browse the listing or search using the keywords at the beginning. Language translation is available. We also provide an array of publications, information, and other helpful pieces of literature. Please call us at 2-1-1, if you are interested in one of these items:
- The Guide for Tough Times – self-help booklet for people facing unemployment, or for people seeking employment due to Welfare Reform (free of charge).
- Resource Information for the following localities:
How to Provide Help: If you would like to be listed in our Information & Referral database or you are a provider in our database and want to update your program information or have a new service to tell us about, please visit our 2-1-1 Agency Form page.
Smart Beginnings Central Virginia (SBCV) is an early childhood initiative based on the principles of collaboration. Community leaders from business, government, health and human services, parents and others work together to ensure that all children will be prepared to succeed when they enter school.
Children who succeed in kindergarten are more likely to be proficient readers in third grade. Third grade reading is a powerful predictor of future school success, high school graduation and work force participation.
Smart Beginnings Central Virginia serves the counties of Amherst, Appomattox, Bedford, Campbell and the City of Lynchburg. Its Virginia Star Quality Initiative (VSQI) also serves Nelson County.
SBCV Strategies include:
- Enhancing the quality of area child care and preschool programs through the implementation of the Virginia Star Quality Initiative (VSQI).
- Empowering parents to meet the developmental needs of their children by providing information to parents and families; and by offering The Incredible Years parent education program.
- Ensuring that the early childhood education work force in Central Virginia receives high quality on-going professional development and training opportunities.
Grow One: Start-up for Young Entrepreneurs
Imagine an elementary school classroom where students run their own economy. They elect leaders, design their own currency, interview for jobs, open bank accounts, save money, start their own businesses, and engage in free trade during regularly-scheduled market events.
Grow One partners with the Center for Economic Education at Lynchburg College to offer Mini-Economy, a classroom curriculum that offers experiential opportunities to practice business ownership while reinforcing concepts that correlate with multiple Standards of Learning.
Market Day provides an opportunity for young entrepreneurs to market their goods and services in a supportive environment. Local business owners interact with presenters and “buy” goods and services with nominal currency. Prizes are awarded for Outstanding Entrepreneur, Best Marketing, and Most Innovative.